Friday, February 27, 2009

I live too far from a bar

That's my excuse.  That's why I mix my own cocktails at home.  The closest bar is a 2o minute car ride way, and if I mix at home, I don't have to drink and drive! (not that I would - my hubby and I flip for designated driver)

About a year ago I decided that I'd learn how to make the cocktails that I enjoyed while dining out.  My first attempt was a Mojito, and I figured "how hard could this be?"  Not so hard, as it turned out!  I've slowly expanded my list to a few more cocktails.  I've become the family mixologist.  Friends as me to bring pitchers of my latest fav drink to parties.  And once or twice a week I'll mix one up for just my Hubby and I.  Gotta keep the skills fresh, ya know!

Mama's Mojito
(named for my MIL who really enjoys these!)

1 serving 
3 sprigs of Mint
2 oz Light Rum
1 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 a lime
Club soda
Ice

I find the mint is very important.  There are many varieties of Mint, but Peppermint works best in a Mojito.  You can usually find it in the fresh herb section of the Produce department. (I grow a big patch in the garden just for Mojitos)

Place 2 spring of mint in a sturdy glass, and add Rum.  Use the handle of a wooden spoon, and gentry squish the mint leaves into the rum.  This is called "muddling".  I got a cool bright green muddler with my bottle of Bacardi Rum last summer.

Add the simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water in a small saucepan until sugar melts, then cool), and strain into a tall serving glass filled with ice.  Add the 3rd sprig of mint, then fill the rest of the glass with club soda.  Squeeze in the 1/2 a lime, then drop in the lime.  Enjoy.

More versions are available on the Bacardi web site - if you like flavor variations like Raspberry or Peach.



No comments:

Post a Comment